Thursday, June 19, 2008

Building Trust With New Adult Pets

Because I raised my dog from puppyhood, I know him very well. I know his moods. I have no fear about rubbing noses with him, putting my face between his jaws to check his teeth, or touching foreheads and staring straight into his eyes (normally a sign of aggression).

However, I would never be so foolish as to try any of that with a dog I am unfamiliar with. And I know well not to startle even my pooch when he is in a jumpy mood. I could lose an eye - and knowing that it was an accident will be no consolation after the event!

When you adopt an adult pet, build trust slowly and patiently. A cat you reared from kittenhood may know you're being affectionate if you grab it and nuzzle its coat, but do the same to a new adult cat and it may think you're about to bite it. Facial lacerations (yours, not the cat's) should not be a surprising result of such an impulsive act.

You do not know what abuse the pet experienced before you rescued it; you do not know its trigger-points and fears. Always approach gently; when it is asleep, do not wake it suddenly; do not exhibit threatening behavior; speak calmly but authoritatively; spend time showing that you will never harm it.

Strictly supervise its interactions with children, visitors and other pets; you do not know if it has had bad experiences with kids, strangers or other animals before, and if it will react aggressively to them.

No comments: